Thursday, July 4, 2013

I'm Wondering...

Today is Independence Day.
We do a lot of our celebrating the day before because
there are so many fun things to do.
 
This year I saw a picture of the American Picnic
& it got me wondering why I
never -in my whole life-
have made fried chicken before.
 
 
 
It's just so American.
So I decide it is time.
 
As I start...
 
I'm wondering why there are other settings
than HIGH on my stove.
 
 
My husband is wondering why I burn everything.
 
 
 
 
Bo is wondering why the house is so foggy.
 
Annie is are wondering what stinks terribly.
 
I am wondering why my pictures are so foggy,
 
 
 
...and why Roo is begging to go outside.
 
 
Kelly is wondering where all the kids have gone.
I'm wondering why we found them all out in the garage
...including Kit.
(Annie said he was coughing too badly.)
 
 
My neighbors are wondering why we are blowing
smoke out of our house with fans.
(and if our house is on fire.)
 
 
I'm wondering why it doesn't look like the magazine pictures.
 
I'm wondering if I should have actually followed the recipe.
 
 
I'm wondering why everyone is picking the
breading off their chicken.
 
 
 
& why Roo keeps dipping his watermelon in western dressing,
but that's a different story.
 
 
The kids are all wondering when our house will smell better.
 
I'm wondering if the people sitting next to us at the fireworks will notice we all smell like burnt grease.
 
I'm wondering if the dried on flour & water mixture all over my black tank top is that noticeable.
 
I'm glad it's dark.
 
I'm wondering why I made fried chicken when
Kentucky Fried Chicken is just down the block.
 
I'm also wondering how you celebrate!?
 
 
 
 
 
Happy 4th of July.
Hope you get to celebrate with family & friends.
And that your house never smells like ours.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

9 comments:

Bunnym said...

ha ha...Well, I guess no more wondering..lol I don't fry anything anymore because I can't eat fried food...but more importantly, I ALWAYS burn myself. Wishing you and the gang and wonderful and safe (stay outta the kitchen) 4th.

bunny

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Happy 4th of July! That is some story about the chicken. I am almost 62 and have never made fried chicken either. Now I know I better follow the recipe! It looks pretty good to me. Love all the pictures.

dee -@ The Old Fat Hen said...

Dear Libbie you are so funny.your house sounds just like my house-love dee x

Evangela Caliguire said...

I remember the time my Mom forgot that we had eggs boiling on the stove....we left the house all day and when Dad got home there was smoke seeping out under the door and through the windows!! We thought we were going to have to throw out all our furniture because of the smoke....and not to mention the smell!!! We went out and bought TONS of cans of Lysol spray and sprayed the inside of the house all over!

Jo said...

LOL. Love it. Sorry your chicken did turn out like the picture. At least your breading stayed on... and the fire department didn't show up. :-) Glad you had a wonderful 4th otherwise.

Little Penpen said...

LOL LOL... I do make fried chicken, but only occasionally. I love home fried chicken, but I do wonder if the mess and time is worth the good taste! I actually think yours looks pretty good for a first time. I remember serving fried chicken with a beautiful brown crunchy coating and red juices running from inside. Love the pic of Annie and the baby!

Lynnette said...

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I make the potato salad and this year KFC played a role on the plate. A great combo with fruit and baked beans. Try oven fried chicken...less mess, same great taste ;)

koralee said...

So adorable sweet friend...I am wondering how you ever got so adorable! I have never made fried chicken either...and I think I never will now...thanks for the warning. xoxoxo

Martina said...

Tee hee - that's exactly how we do fried chicken - and why we never do it again! ha ha - love you Libbie! xox