Thursday, February 12, 2015

Annie's Valentine Box

Right now in Minnesota we have been frozen for a few months.
 
 
I'm talking we are popsicles!!!
 
 
Which is one reason why I LOVE Valentine's Day so much!
It gives us sweet things to think about
& fills our home with love.
 
I mean, do you even know how sweet it is to watch little boys
SITTING STILL cutting out little hearts for his classmates?
 


 
And then there are the Valentine boxes,
Oh, do I love Valentine Boxes!
 
  


 And this year I think it is my favorite!
 
I love the time we spend together,
everyone usually pitches in.
 
 
When we are deciding what to make I just tell the kids,
"Make what you love!"
 
And Annie...well that girl loves Pandas.
 
 
So we made a Panda.
& I had one happy girl.
 
 
Then, today that little roly poly panda got stuffed
with candy and Valentines, and that Panda was pretty happy too.
 
I'll put the directions down below
but for those of you who aren't really into Pandas...
 
Happy Valentine's day!
 
Hope it's filled with lots of love!





Panda Directions
 
Tape down the "stem" of  a mylar balloon. 
(dollar store)
 
 
Paper Mache the balloon.
(Paste is just flour & water)
 
 
 At least 3 layers.
Allow time to dry between layers.
(fans work great)
 
To get it to stand make a little playdough nest.
 
 
Sit the balloon on it & paper mache around the nest.
 
 

 
 
 
When dry remove the playdough.
 
 
Cut a hole for valentines.
 
 
Here comes the tricky part...
Cover the head with a think fleece.
(Hot glue gun & lots of tugging.)
 
 
I got 1 yard of white & 1 foot of black.
It was more than enough.
 
The back is not the prettiest I'll admit.
 
 
 
Next, the ears.
 
Black fleece & sturdy plastic.
 I cut ears out of strawberry containers.
Cut the fleece as shown below, 2 different sized pieces for each ear.
Front small, back longer.


 
Glue plastic onto the back piece.
 
 
Hot glue the front piece on.
 
 
The longer piece is the tab to apply hot glue to attach to the head.
 

 
Play around with eye shapes,
 

 
and you have your Panda Box!
 

 
 
I'd allow 3 days for the paper mache part.
It really was fun to make together so I hope you give it a try!
 



11 comments:

marie said...

This is the cutest Valentine box ever!! And Bo cutting out his hearts is pretty cute too!
Happy Valentine's Day to your sweet family Libbie!!

It's me said...

Oww so sweet panda beat...happy Valentine you all !!...love from me Ria...❤️❤️❤️how is the baby doing..??...xxx!

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

You are the BEST MOM!!! What a super cute "valentine box"!!!
Happy Valentine's Day!
xo,
deb

Trisha said...

Super cute panda! Good job you guys! Hope you all stay nice and warm and enjoy your Valentine's Day!

~Trisha

Debby@Just Breathe said...

This years is super cute! You guys are so creative. Happy Valentine's Day!!!!

Gloria said...

So cute Libbie! You are such a good mommy...:) That box looks like a great project. I bet Zoe, our granddaughter, would love to make it. Happy Valentine's Day! :)

dee -@ The Old Fat Hen said...

you are the bestmum I knew you would come up with gret ideas-love deex

Dee said...

I love that panda... very cool.

Happy belated Valentine's Day!

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

I definitely would not like living in popsicle land. Very, very cute Panda. :) Hugs, Tammy

Jo said...

That Panda looks awesome! They did such a good job on it. What was Bo's box this year? Did he make one?

Unknown said...

That is so cute! How fun;0)